Saturday, October 18, 2008

Grip It And Rip It



One of the first things I am usually asked after someone learns I am a professional strongman is "can you tear a phonebook?". Yes, I can. Inevitably, the second question is "what's the trick?". My response? I am a strongman NOT a magician. If you are interested in viewing tricks and illusions, you are talking to the wrong Chris.

Now, if your interested in REAL feats of strength performed by a proven professional strongman, your in the right place. As you can see in the video, I just grab the book, squeeze tight, and pull. No fancy technique, no dried out books. It's just like my Mentor says, you just "grip it and rip it".

1 comment:

Rob said...

Chris,

Been following some of your feats for a while now and I'm more than impressed with your crazy strength!
The phone book ripping is fantastic!

I have noticed many people bend the book to create a gap of air between each page which makes the rip very easy if you can master the technique.

The problem with this is that nearly anyone can do it!

However, I have noticed this is not the case with your technique (it is real), you grab the book and clamp it down with the left and literally 'pull' it to pieces with the other (as I have seen Denis Rogers do and many other Strongmen who are worth watching).

My question is, do you train this just by starting off with a 'thin' phonebook and work upwards? and also is there anything other than this that can be trained i.e rubber ring training or trying to pull a towel apart?

So far I have got nowhere with this style of tearing.

Maybe I need to try harder or maybe I'm 'weak as piss'

Hope you maybe able to lend a hand.

Or just tell me to try harder!

Cheers
Rob